Friday, April 24, 2015
I've been meaning to post a few photos of my finished By Hand London Holly jumpsuit/dress for ages but we're in the middle of moving house and everything is upside down. This pattern was really lovely to sew - I love the packaging of the BHL patterns and found the little instruction booklet with it's illustrations really easy to follow. Instead of following the pattern to make a jumpsuit with shorts, I used Katie's brilliant pattern hack and turned it into a button down dress!
Kate's tutorial is really easy to follow - the skirt is made out of three rectangular panels (so no curved hem to sew - yay!) and it's easy, if a little time consuming, to just keep on adding button holes and buttons right down the front of the dress. When it came to gathering the fabric for the skirt I used this elastic gathering method which (after one false start) was a revelation! The fabric gathered itself up like magic and the elastic held it in place firmly while I sewed it down.
I found the waistline of the dress sat a smidgen higher than I expected and was worried that it wouldn't fit me right but this turned out to be my favorite part of the dress. The high waistline sort of hangs away from my body and gives the dress a nice breezy Summery feel. The fabric is Liberty cotton lawn and the print is from their A/W 14 collection (I'm pretty sure) and is called Matt Maddison. I love the triangles and gloomy landscapes! I'm two thirds of the way through my next Liberty print Holly dress already so will hopefully have some more sewing to share soon!
As for our house move, we're saying a fond farewell to the beautiful 1930's apartment that we've rented for the last two and a half years and are cramming all our belongings into a tiny flat in the attic of what was once the village post office! It's a pretty Victorian building and every window looks out onto the wibbly wobbly rooftops of the village. Wish us luck!